“It will never rain roses: when we want to have more roses, we must plant more roses.” ― George Eliot
The quotation by Eliot, the pen name for British author Mary Ann Evans, is one that speaks volumes of determination. Without our own will and persistence we cannot reach our goals. If we want something we will have to work at it ourselves.
Determination is all about process. How are you going to get to that goal, whether it be about your career, a physical benchmark, a fiscal goal, or an emotional desire? Whatever the goal is, the road to it is defined by the determination it takes along the way.
For each of us it looks different. No one path is exactly the same, and if you’ve ever had a dream, that can end up being a little discouraging. Thankfully, the act of being determined is something we all have in common at some point in our lives and that can connect us.
16 determination quotes that will inspire you
These quotes remind us that we all face a difficult journey in reaching our goals, but in the end it is so worth the endeavor.
If you’re on your way to a goal, keep these determination quotes in mind. They’re a reminder that we often face hardship and defeat on our journeys, but a roadblock isn’t a dead end. Sometimes it’s a test and sometimes it means you need to reevaluate.
Keep going. It’ll be worth it.
- "Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try." — Unknown
- “Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.” — Nora Ephron, writer
- “Focus more on your desire than on your doubt, and the dream will take care of itself.” — Mark Twain, author
- “It's failure that gives you the proper perspective on success.” — Ellen DeGeneres, comedian
- "You have no control over other people's taste, so focus on staying true to your own." — Tim Gunn, fashion consultant
- “In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility.” — Elanor Roosevelt, First Lady
- “The best way out is through.” — Robert Frost, writer
- “Some people say I have attitude. Maybe I do... but I think you have to. You have to believe in yourself when no one else does. That makes you a winner right there.” — Venus Williams, tennis player
- “The most important thing about having goals is having one.” — Geoffrey F. Abert, author
- “Failure is another stepping stone to greatness.” — Oprah Winfrey
- “If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.” — Jim Rohn, entrepreneur
- “Pain is temporary. Quitting lasts forever.” — Lance Armstrong
- "Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions...do your thing, and don't care if they like it." — Tina Fey, comedian
- “People don’t just find the strength and the willpower they need, they create it.” — Anonymous
- “Success is most often achieved by those who don't know that failure is inevitable.” — Coco Chanel
- “A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” — Albert Einstein
At the foundation of all of these words of wisdom about determination is one major theme: you have to go after what you want and you cannot let small setbacks stop you from continuing on your journey.
Billionaires like Oprah and great authors like Maya Angelou always saw something greater than the challenge in front of them. They saw beauty in their dreams, even if it wasn’t apparent to anybody else. Believing in yourself is the ultimate form of determination. It means you can achieve anything you put your mind to.
Habits of determined, successful people
It’s not enough to simply want something. The work is what actually gets you to the finish line. With that comes forming healthy habits that help you get there.
The people that we consider the most determined are those who are:
- Great at setting boundaries for themselves
- Organized in their approach
- Willing to take risks on themselves and their goals
- Able to set (and evolve) their priorities
These approaches don’t always come easily. They will take time, and we each find our own way.
Here are a few tips that the determined, like those quoted above, know to be true.
Share your goals
It helps to have a support system, plus talking about your goals will help you keep yourself accountable. Tell a friend, post a note on social media, or seek out an accountability partner.
Telling someone is also a great way to make your goals more concrete. When they just live in your head, it can be easy to let them stay vague and dreamy. By talking them out with someone else, you have to pin down what it is you really want -- and how you will get there.
Focus on what you can control
As much as we might like it, things won’t always go our way, and it can be hard to face when something that isn’t in our control causes a hiccup in our plan.
Instead of obsessing over problems when they arise and wishing they didn’t happen, try shifting your priority to what you can control. Okay, things didn’t go perfectly -- what are you going to do about it? Acknowledge the issue and ask yourself what your next move is.
Make time to revisit goals
It’s okay that goals sometimes change! Don’t get so focused on a perfect ending that you miss out on opportunities to evolve along the way.
Often, after we actually start working on a goal, we realize that our early vision for it wasn’t 100% realistic. That doesn’t mean Not everything will change, but reevaluating your goals gives you a chance to see how your needs or desires may have changed. Maybe you learned something new along the way that will affect your final goal or the methods you’ll use to get there.
Being flexible doesn’t mean you’re not determined. It means you are smart and living in the real world, where things change all the time -- and that means you are going to succeed.
Celebrate small wins
Give yourself a pat on the back when you’ve hit a milestone or made some progress. Get comfortable with the fact that setbacks do not overshadow the successes. Progress is not always simple, and you deserve praise when you’ve done a good job. Even just recognizing growth is a small act of celebration. Believe in yourself. It’s the only way forward.What is one of your favorite determination quotes? Share with us on Facebook and Instagram!