We’ve all had those days when we’ve felt down on ourselves.
When we feel as if we’re not good enough or nothing is going our way. During these tough moments, it’s important to take a pause and remember how much you matter.
Self-talk can hugely impact how we think or behave, so it’s for our benefit that we learn to speak to ourselves in a gentler way.
We view our thoughts as truth but, in actuality, our thoughts are often unreliable narrators. How often have we done something small and inconsequential—like accidentally breaking a glass or forgetting to send a work email on time–only to then blow it out of proportion and criticize ourselves? That’s why it’s so crucial that we balance out the negative talk with comforting words, to remind us of our self-worth and importance.
We’ve collected some of the most uplifting quotes on how much we matter. You can turn to these words whenever you need a dose of encouragement or a reminder of how amazing you truly are.
How to use these "you matter" quotes
Here are some of the ways that you can use these quotes to remind you how much you matter.
1. Write it down in your journal
See which quotes resonate with you and write down your favorite ones in your journal. You can have fun with the lettering and shading and use colorful pens or washi tape to make your quote stand out on the page. Refer to these quotes whenever you need a pick-me-up, or take the opportunity to reflect on what these words mean to you and how you can put them into practice.
2. Incorporate positive quotes into your self-care routine
Self-care is essential to our well-being—helping us unwind, de-stress, and hit refresh on our lives. And soothing ourselves with positive words is a key element of a self-care routine. So the next time you have a free afternoon or evening, read through your favorite quotes and recite them like a mantra, or read them before writing in your gratitude journal. Adding positive quotes to your self-care routine, will help make you feel that much more special and loved.
3. Put it on a post-it
Write out your favorite quotes on a post-it and place them around your workspace or bedroom. These visual reminders will help you become more comfortable with positive self-talk and also give you a big emotional boost whenever you read them.
Here are 25 uplifting quotes to comfort you whenever you need them, and to remind you that you matter.
- “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, ‘I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.’” — Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” — Oscar Wilde
- “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” — Oprah Winfrey
- "If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person." — Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers)
- Your success and happiness lies in you. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.” — Helen Keller
- “Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we’ll ever do.” — Brene Brown
- “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." — Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
- “We just need to be kinder to ourselves. If we treated ourselves the way we treated our best friend, can you imagine how much better off we would be?” — Meghan Markle
- “Our job in this life is not to shape ourselves into some ideal we imagine we ought to be, but to find out who we already are and become it.” ― Steven Pressfield
- “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” — Maya Angelou
- “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.”— Thich Nhat Hanh
- “This is a moment of suffering. Suffering is part of life. May I be kind to myself in this moment. May I give myself the compassion I need.” ― Kristin Neff
- “It’s all about falling in love with yourself and sharing that love with someone who appreciates you, rather than looking for love to compensate for a self-love deficit.” — Eartha Kitt
- “When we care for ourselves as our very own beloved—with naps, healthy food, clean sheets, a lovely cup of tea—we can begin to give in wildly generous ways to the world, from abundance.” — Anne Lamott
- “You are not a drop in the ocean, you are the entire ocean in a drop.” — Rumi
- Don’t compare your life to others. There’s no comparison between the sun, and the moon. They shine when it’s their time.” — Buddha
- “How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you.”— Rupi Kaur
- “Nourish yourself with grand and austere ideas of beauty that feed the soul… Seek solitude.” — Eugene Delacroix
- “Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace, and power in it.” — Julia Cameron
- “No matter where you're from, your dreams are valid.”— Lupita Nyong'o
- “As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” — Goethe
- “Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.” — Henry David Thoreau
- “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” Lucille Ball
- “In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect. Trees can be contorted, bent in weird ways, and they're still beautiful.” - Alice Walker